TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - EGR delete success
People Seeking Info

Subject EGR delete success

Posted by LiL B on August 06, 2008 at 10:09 PM
  This message has been viewed 8797 times.

Message I am very pleased to have just successfully completed an EGR delete on my Twinturbo. Reason for such a feeling of accomplishment is because so many people advised me that it was a nearly impossible job to do without dropping the transmission, pulling the motor, or breaking the EGR all to pieces(sort of).
I was able to successfully delete in reasonable time without having to do any of the previous mentioned methods.
I wanted to do an EGR delete along side my injector, fuel rail upgrade. Here is how I did it. After plenum pull, EGR delete time was a patient 3 hours. Please take notice I think it went so well because I have downpipes already installed. I bet with the stock pre cats this method might not work. This is intended for off road use only.
1) Regular plenum pull, thanks twinturbo.net for instructions.
2) Remove the driver’s side coolant line on back of motor. I used a universal joint socket wrench with extension.
3) Soak all EGR bolts with penetrating oil. Take a lunch then get ready to ditch that EGR.
4) Remove the (2) passenger side EGR feed line bolts from the EGR using a close end “S” wrench. Attach the “S” wrench to bolt then use a small diameter pipe about one foot in length to rest on top of “S” wrench and then tap with hammer to break rusty seal. Once seal is cracked then use “S” wrench to work bolts out. Takes time!! The EGR feed line will remain for time being.
5) Loosen the (2) long EGR mount bolts using close end “S” wrench. Tap the wrench using hammer same way as described in step 4. No worries on the bolts not coming out and hitting the firewall just leave EGR and bolts and proceed to next step.
6) Remove the (2) drivers side EGR feed line bolts from the EGR using same “S” wrench technique as mentioned in steps 4 and 5. Remove drivers side EGR feed line. It is easy to work out just takes a little thought.
7) From under the car remove the drivers side downpipe and test pipe. This will give you plenty of room to access the exhaust manifold EGR feed line.
8) Loosen the (1) exhaust manifold EGR feed line nut and slide back. I could not get any of my wrenches to get clearance and found that the penetrating oil did a great job because I was able to use a long channel lock to loosen with little effort.
9) From atop the motor with the exhaust manifold line free you will have the ability to wiggle out the EGR with the bolts and with exhaust line attached.
10) Only thing left is passenger side EGR feed line. I had to hacksaw off the end of the line that connects to the EGR because at that point I figured I did not want to bother removing the passenger side coolant line. With the EGR side hacked off you can just twist and pull the feed line out.
11) Install exhaust manifold plug, plenum caps, and your all done with your EGR delete.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.