TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - oil pan removal steps
People Seeking Info

Subject oil pan removal steps

Posted by aliaZ on April 07, 2008 at 9:22 AM
  This message has been viewed 10799 times.

In Reply To aliaz- Do yo have any tips or info on what you did? posted by 91300zxttkid on April 07, 2008 at 07:00 AM

Message 1) Put the front of the car up in the air on two jackstands

2) Unbolt motor mounts

3) Lift car again, but slide a 3rd jackstand under the transmission bellhousing. Adjust the height of the 3rd jackstand so that it just barely lifts the engine off the cross member when you set the car back down. I usually use magazines between the jack stand saddle and the bellhousing to act as shims, and also to better distribute the load. The third jackstand is a 6 ton with a pretty wide saddle.

4) Unbolt the steering rack/hoses and lower control arms from the cross member. If the steering knuckle is stuck, just swing the rack out of the way...no need to completely remove it.

5) Remove the crossmember. Place a backup jackstand or floor jack under the harmonic balancer as a safety precaution. You don't want the engine dropping on your face

6) Loosen the bellhousing brackets on the side of the block so that you can gain access to all of the oil pan bolts. You will need to grind down a 14mm box end wrench to fit between the oil filter tree and the bolt head.

7) Remove the oil pan bolts, remove oil pan. This will take a bit of effort because the pan is essentially glued to the block with RTV.

8) Assembly is the reverse of these steps. Now is a good time to replace the rubber gaskets at the front and rear of the pan. You might also check the condition of your motor mounts.

Above all, don't drop the engine on your face. Take the necessary safety precautions. If you have an engine hoist handy, you can use this in place of the third jack stand method, or use it as a backup support

I'd make sure your transmission mount is intact before undergoing this procedure.

General Disclaimer: If you're an idiot, don't try this. I am not responsible or liable for your failures.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.