TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Simple rig to prime your oil pump
People Seeking Info

Subject Simple rig to prime your oil pump

Posted by Guapo on March 26, 2008 at 11:47 PM
  This message has been viewed 7413 times.

Message If you're dropping in a new motor, or installed a new oil pump, you need to get the oil pump primed to pull from the pan. There are various methods, but this one was suggested to me by Aliaz (he has posted before on the forum about it as well).

Basically, were using a shop-vac to pull the oil up into the pump to prime it.

Materials:

From Home Depot:
2 pc - 1/2" NPT x 5/8" hose barbs
1 pc - 2-3' clear 5/8" hose
1 pc - 2" rubber cap

Also needed:

Shop Vac
used oil filter (all oil drained), or cheap new one

Simply drill a 3/4" hole in the end of the oil filter casing. you only need to penetrate the outer case. I used a 3/4" spade bit. Apply some RTV to the thread of one of the hose barbs, and screw it into the hole. Apply RTV to the outer junction of the connection to make sure you get a good seal. Repeat the process in the end of the rubber cap. Be sure to let the RTV cure.

Connect the two ends of the hose to the two barbs. The rig should look like this:

Simply install the filter onto the filter tree:

The other end, attach to the end of your shop vac:

Pull the CAS connector, and turn on the shop vac. Have a helper crank the motor until you start to see some oil in the hose, then stop cranking and turn off the vacuum. Don't worry, there wont be enough oil coming through make a mess of the vacuum.

Remove the priming rig and install a new filter, then crank the motor over until you start to see some oil pressure on the gauge.

Congrats. Your oil pump is now primed.

Petz #2

"What's the point of having the car if you don't drive it?" - Mrs. Guapo 08/20/05

Jeeeesus Christ - my Dad (after a ride in my Z) 12/26/04

People have the right to freedom of expression. However, people also have the right to point and laugh- aliaZ 04/06/06

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.