TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - fix your power seat switch
People Seeking Info

Subject fix your power seat switch

Posted by aviatorb747 on August 30, 2007 at 12:04 AM
  This message has been viewed 2867 times.

Message If your Z occasionally drains a battery, or you wake up in the morning and find your car's battery is dead it might be sticky power seat switch. Mine failed couple of months after the first drain - my seat would not move forward. New switch is around $ 300 and used ones on ebay about $70 - $100.

1: Remove the seat - might be tricky if switch already failed. 15 mm socket or wrench. Disconnect 2 plugs under the seat

2: Put large light color towel under the switch ( to catch small things which will fall out of the switch )

3: Take off switch cover - 2 phillips screws

4: 2 more phillips screws under the cover. You don't need to remove switch from the seat.

5: Using thin flat screwdriver/dull knife gently lift all 6 plastic latches and open the switch. Be careful. As you open the switch some loose bits will fall out onto your towel. TOWEL IS A MUST. If you're doing this outside on the grass you can stop now, get your visa and buy a new switch :)

6: Top of the switch contains 8 small springs, 2 slightly larger springs, 8 small plastic studs and 2 balls :):) Larger springs go in the centre, smaller springs into 4 seats around them. Studs go on top of small springs narrow end down.

7: From the other half of the switch remove 8 rocker contacts- should come right out. Clean all spots with fine sandpaper( 1000 is best ) , clean the rockers, rocker contacts and rocker seats, everything. Polish till smooth. Once all metal surfaces in the switch look new reinstall rockers, pointy ends towards circles. GENTLY squeeze rocker seats so rockers won't be too loose. They should stay in place .

8: Tricky part: apply tiny amount of grease in the holes in the middle and place balls in there ( do I need to explain which balls..) . Grease will hold them in place even upside down. Put both halves of the switch together - SWITCH IS NOT SYMMETRICAL - so make sure sides match ( there are different grooves on the sides ). I pointed side with contacts and balls downwards, other side upwards, took me 2 tries before switch worked perfect. I am not sure how long this will last but it was worth $ 300, took me only 40 minutes or so. If you put the switch together and it doesn't work - selector does not move freely around both axis - something must have come loose inside. Take it apart and try again, like I said I tried 2 or 3 times. Now it works perfect.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.