TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - You're correct, I also thought it was a conductor
People Seeking Info

Subject You're correct, I also thought it was a conductor

Posted by Polishzx on February 26, 2023 at 3:23 PM
  This message has been viewed 147 times.

In Reply To Agreed, big believer in this. An annual ritual, along with posted by robo (sebring1970) on February 24, 2023 at 06:37 PM

Message which is very wrong. I learned the hard way too from a strange no-crank issue one time where I eventually learned I just had a bad connection from battery terminal to cable. At the time I was slathering dielectric grease on the terminal BEFORE connecting the battery cable which is totally incorrect. Battery cable goes on to the terminal in a perfectly clean/dry connection, tightened, then the frosting is applied to insulate everything. With my no-crank issue, I believe the looseness of the cable on the terminal, in addition with the dielectric grease insulating the terminal from the connector was enough to cause my no-crank.

In regards to dielectric grease vs silicone grease, it appears they're nearly identical from searching around the Bob Is The Oil Guy forum. It seems that there are very slight differences in formulation where you could probably use regular silicone grease in connectors as in relation to this thread (which is probably cheaper than buying the official stuff) but you wouldn't want to do it in reverse where you used the dielectric grease in an application that called for standard silicone grease, something about not the same working temperatures but not positive. It seems the "dielectric" portion of the name might be more related to marketing.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.