TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - been chasing hunting issue off and on for sometime
People Seeking Info

Subject been chasing hunting issue off and on for sometime

Posted by The Devils Z on February 20, 2023 at 4:24 AM
  This message has been viewed 379 times.

Message As the title suggest, I have been chasing a random hunting issue for sometime that just got progressively worse. Sharing incase it helps someone else out on a search later.

I have dual wideband gauges and a Speciality Z tune so it should be spot on the money. It was not and has not been sometime. I didn't drive the Z
a lot so it really didn't bother me till recently when it got worse.

Initially after cold start high idle, it ran fine and then starting hunting at red lights / stop signs. So I did the normal stuff and check for boost leaks - I found one leak on the coupler for the intake on the driver side turbo -fixed. The heat of the turbo burned through the coupler. Got some heat wrap and a new coupler, problem solved.

Car ran fine but started hunting again. Air fuels were rich at WOT on both banks. So I changed the spark plugs and they were rich ... Z ran fine again for awhile ...and started running rich again.

Boost leak again -- no leaks --- I have a aeromotive FPR -- checked that per Seb and no issues. Check plugs again -- rich as hell

Plugs

changed the plugs. Z was hunting on cold start really bad. Never seen that before. Hooked up Conzult -- code 55 and everything appears normal. Pulled fuel out at idle at - 30% ... car still hunted a bit but air fuels started to return to normal .. what gives ??

So after talking to Tony Z (Bam Automotive), he recommended I check the MAFs. I have the selin kit with dual maf setup.

Unplug the connector and the Z runs smooth at 1500rpm. It won't rev past 3k but off gas the idle returns to 1500 rpm and is steady.

I checked the connector side of the oem harness that connects direct to the Selin translator. This is what I found :

OEM plug into Selin Translator pic 1

more evident here -- 2 of the 4 ports were all corroded up and this was jacking up my MAF signal to the ECU

OEM plug into Selin Translator pic 2

Cleaned the connector on the harness side and the Selin Translator side ... Z runs and purrs great. Air Fuels are where they need to be.

Actually, WOT was kinda intimidatingly fast -- and this was lower boost setting ..

Not sure if this is part of the 6ps .. but it should be ... so check your maf connection every now and then.

=============Sig begins here================

The Devils Z.com

800 rwhp dyno

View Me! Disclaimer : Not Safe For Work !

Kid :" Those old guys drive that way ?"

Witness : "Yeah, I rode behind them at ZNationals 2010 on these back roads leaving the track day and they were foot in. They ran into the curves w/no brakes and didn't lift!"

- Hampton Inn parking lot at ZNationals 2011 -

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.