TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - microns and mils
People Seeking Info

Subject microns and mils

Posted by Mike@ZSpeed on September 10, 2022 at 4:39 PM
  This message has been viewed 118 times.

In Reply To Looks gorgeous, but yeah posted by robo (sebring1970) on September 10, 2022 at 03:30 PM

Message https://cardetailingplanet.com/how-to-measure-car-paint-depth-using-a-paint-thickness-gauge/

You can get anywhere from $100 and up.
I personally do not have one (yet).
I’ve heard the cheap ones do what you need them to as well as the $$$$ ones.
But then I’ve heard you get what you pay for with these.
So I guess it’s 50/50.

How ever these measure “total thickness”.
So that does not seperate your primer from your base color and clear coat.

The ideal gauges use ultrasound ( or so I’ve been told and read ) and can seperate your measurements between layers.
So they can tell you exactly what your clear coat measurement is before reaching your base color layer.
This is important because depending on what your current measurement of clear coat is will determine how aggressive you can get with your polishing before removing to much clear coat and risk breaking the layer and reaching the paint.

This process of measuring , polishing, re-measuring, re-polishing , re-measuring etc….. can be very time consuming. As your measurements are gonna vary per location of the vehicle unless your car is right off the truck and never been prepped etc…
Obviously areas that get the most attention ( hood and washing ) will have a lower measurement and thinner clear coat vs the sides of the car.

Or so I’ve read….

:)

I did the 1st “paint correction” on this girl last year.
The previous owner used a sponge and dish soap.

I should try and find some pre and post photos.

`
1990 NA
1993 TT

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.