TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Rear bumper looking good again
People Seeking Info

Subject Rear bumper looking good again

Posted by robo (sebring1970) on September 08, 2022 at 6:59 AM
  This message has been viewed 206 times.

In Reply To Deep new stains on my rear plastic bumper – little help posted by robo (sebring1970) on September 06, 2022 at 01:36 PM

Message I found my Novus plastic polish. Number 1 is liquid like water, Number 2 a soft cream, and Number 3 a paste.

I was getting good results with the Number 1 which is the least abrasive, but for that last ten percent of improvement I moved up to the Number 2 and then 3. In retrospect, that created a lot more work. After the Number 3, the bumper was hazy after buffing. Black300zx also warned me about that haze when buffing a red and not a white bumper.

After a lot of elbow grease, and working my way back down to Number One, the bumper is nice and shiny again. Then, as I also mentioned before, the Turtle Wax Express Shine Spray Car Wax added further improvement. I will definitely be buying more of that product.

The close up foto of the bumper is in the same spot as the foto in the original post.

The bumper never looks great for long because the soot from the exhaust gets on the bumper almost instantly. Check out the foto of the inside of my garage door which was closed for about 5 seconds on a cold start. That is the exhaust “fingerprint” of quad tips, jajajaa.

Special thanks to black300zx and Datsun240Z71 for answering the question.

I appreciate the high level advice about how to wash a car as a general opinion for the readership. I don’t mind seeing where I fall short about car washes in general, but that did not answer my question. I was not asking if I should change the way I have been washing my cars for decades. I had a specific question about how to remove stains from the rear bumper.

I am not finding fault with anyone who doesn’t want to use commercial car washes. However, outliers. by definition, like these bumper stains are not a reason to change my car washing habits, other than perhaps avoiding that specific car wash. I get nothing but compliments, and a lot of them, about the finish of the original paint on my Z.

Keep On Keepin' On!

"Straight-line acceleration is probably the first aspect of
automotive performance that any intelligent driver gets bored with."
Peter Gregg

"We owe a lot to the dragsters.
They always break something,
figure out a way to beef up the part
and then the benefit trickles
down."
Robo

"Not everything that can be counted counts. Not everything that
counts can be counted."
Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.