TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - NEVER use a car wash
People Seeking Info

Subject NEVER use a car wash

Posted by Mike@ZSpeed on September 06, 2022 at 6:11 PM
  This message has been viewed 299 times.

In Reply To my assumption is product from the car wash posted by robo (sebring1970) on September 06, 2022 at 02:23 PM

Message NEVER use a car wash

All car washes either it be self serve, drive thru, touch-less, or gas station have chemicals that are way to aggressive.

It doesn’t matter what soap your using. Pre-soak, polish, wax etc… They are all very hard on your clear coat and will strip your layer of wax you have on and over time will break down your coating of ceramic slowly.

Never use the brush. It will scratch your car. PERIOD. And those spinning tumbling bristles they have at gas stations car washes are even worse.

Take any freshly polished black car to a self serve or any car wash. Then look @ the paint. You will see tons of scratches.

If you must use a self serve bay. Bring your own 5 gallon bucket with lid and the shampoo of your choice already in. Along with multiple wash mitts. Then use their water to mix the shampoo. Rinse car. Wash with your mit and your own 5 gallon solution on shampoo. Then rinse.

-------------------
This certainly looks like damage to your paint from the chemicals.
There is no way to “remove”. It’s not stain. It looks like clear coat damage.
---------------------------

Mineral spirits may be safe to use when diluted in small areas. But this is not a small area.

406 belongs in the kitchen or bathroom. I don’t care what anyone says. If its designed and marketed to clean my oven or toilet that’s where it belongs. Not on my car.

Chemical guys toss in the garbage.

Turtle wax… meh.

Here’s how you should go about this.
Go back to the wash station and to the bay you used. They almost ALWAYS have cameras in there for security reasons.
Contact the owner. E-mail, phone call etc…
Document this.
If this was caused by the chemical in the car wash bay its all on video.

____________________--

I wouldnt try to fix until you communicate with the owner of the car wash and have a body shop take a look.
Anything you do @ this point is only gonna break down yout clear coat more.
Let them see 1st hand what happened then try to fix.

2. Clay with a soft mild clay and soapy water.
* Do you see any red on the clay bar? If yes. Your clear coat is damaged.

3. take some painters tape and make a 3” square.

4. Polish the test area lightly with a very mild polish ( not wax . Not a wax and polish ).
* Do you see any red? If yes you have clear coat damage.

5. Did the light polish remove or blend the “stain”?

6. Try a medium polish with a new applicator and new MF towel. Slowly increasing your pressure.
* Is it red? Is it better?

IMHO
Your car is an investment and happiness. Leave the Chemical guys, OTS Meguairs and Wal-mart products on the shelf.

I generally go for “Angel wax” products.
Maybe a little more $ then OTS stuff from Auto Zone etc… But your not driving a Mustang here either.

But seriously go back to the bay check for a camera for proof.
Contact via email and phone.
Go to a body shop, tell them what happened.

`
1990 NA
1993 TT

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.