TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - From the Lotus owner:
People Seeking Info

Subject From the Lotus owner:

Posted by vorpalZed on July 02, 2022 at 9:24 AM
  This message has been viewed 140 times.

In Reply To Shop-vac inlet piping, clever :D More lotus info please? (n/m) posted by black300zx on June 29, 2022 at 07:01 AM

Message Car is a low-cost lotus 7 replica from a kit

Came to me with a 1.6L Toyota 4AGE twin cam 16v engine running on points, distributor, and dual carbs. It's a manual 5 speed, and the engine is dry sumped.

From one of the several spare blocks and heads, I've selected a supercharged block from an MR2, has all forged internals, but one piston was dented in storage, so for now while parts are on order I boosted the engine that was in it. Bought an AC Tig welder, learned to weld and built my own turbo kit as nothing of the shelf that fit the engine would fit the car.

It's now port injected, coil on plug, Haltech elite, map with iat, 350Z crank and cam position sensors using a custom 36-1 crank trigger machined into the undersized pulley (due to the dry sump kit belt being non standard), and using an electronic wastegate actuator reverse engineered from a VR30DETT through a custom motor controller interfaced to the Haltech.

Exhaust manifold - made from 1.25" schedule 40 SS piping sanded and polished out, and inside ported:

Similar for the intake, runners:

done:

Turbo is mount backwards, so the compressor outlet can run to the back of the engine through a water intercooler and directly to the intake.

Tossed it on the scales:

it's 1521 lbs (until I get in it), and pretty well balanced. It made 184 hp and 167 ish ftlbs as we kept the redline to 7500 rpm and boost to 12 psi as we don't know the state of the internals. It's pretty zippy, good thing I put it on NT01's over RPF1's for grip.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.