TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Updates and New Info
People Seeking Info

Subject Updates and New Info

Posted by kikoeta on October 02, 2020 at 12:19 PM
  This message has been viewed 153 times.

In Reply To Considering a unique 91 TT, need advice posted by kikoeta on September 29, 2020 at 02:10 PM

Message I've replied to a few others about my budget increasing due to what I will offer for the car. I'm offering $6,000 on the spot after a thorough inspection of the car, maybe even less if the underside is awful. There's no excuse for the turbos to be going out after 60k no matter how hard they were driven, so I am budgeting to replace them completely as they are most likely shot.

Extra updates/info:
- I have found myself a tuner for the car that can do Power FC tuning, $190/hr seems fair for that and he's done quite a few of my friends' cars as well.

- The owner told me "The CEL is on due to the ECU" and after that, he said, "Don't freak out on me lol". I wasn't terribly concerned as that made sense to me, this ECU was sorta frankensteined to work with the car after all. But, I have managed to find a video of the car from a previous owner (search for 300zx Brullen Exhaust, it's from like 2013 when another owner had it). Looking through his videos, it is clear the CEL is not on, and in fact that it operates as a shift light for him. Now, could that owner have been covering something up? Sure, but what matters is I have leverage in that situation now.

- The rep I spoke with at Stillen about the "Super 500 Turbo Kit" told me that back in the day, Stillen sold power packs much like what Z1 does now. You'd get a turbo kit and it would come with their silicone intake and boost hoses, maybe an intercooler set, intake, etc. But for that particular "500" kit, he said that they are most likely JWT Sport 500 turbos, and that matches the era in which they were installed. So, if JWT has a 100k mile warranty on them, let me know :)

- After I brought up the CEL issue, the seller shut down and said "No idea but let me know when you have the money, thanks for your time." which is extremely suspicious to me and shows that he probably knew it was an issue in the first place. I will ask that tuner if I can pay him for a video call to walk me through the tune of the car to see if there's anything an untrained eye would miss. Of course, knock while driving isn't a hard thing for me to miss, but the small things about tuning are not something I'm well versed in.

- He frequently has not wanted to sell the car as evidenced by his FaceBook feed, but he also most likely knows the work that it needs and is trying to unload it on someone unsuspecting, and in my case, young and naive. Luckily, I have two wonderful friends who have given me their knowledge over the years, and the advice from all of you who have replied to this post, so thank you for arming me with the weapon of intelligence. I will be sure to post dedicated updates to a thread when I start building this car, as I like the community here a lot.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.