TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - First off is this your daily driver or a project car?
People Seeking Info

Subject First off is this your daily driver or a project car?

Posted by Gordo LSZ Daytona on September 29, 2020 at 6:08 PM
  This message has been viewed 201 times.

In Reply To Considering a unique 91 TT, need advice posted by kikoeta on September 29, 2020 at 02:10 PM

Message Because if its the former, that's a deal breaker. Also I didn't see where you mentioned price; because money does fix a lot of problems.

So I assume its a project. Do you have a garage workspace and a the right set of tools, including diagnostics? Keeping something like this in the driveway, while you go back and forth to college is a sure way to end up with a slowly degrading chassis, a depreciating bank account, and a forelorn Craigslist ad that begs someone to give it the TLC it deserves.

I you are still committed, and if you budget $1200-$2500 your turbo issues will most likely go away. Others here can give you better guidance than myself.

But then you go on to list all the other issues as "typical" problems. Most of what I read were problems of neglect, not normal wear and tear; and that bodes poorly for the car as a whole and your future ownership experience. But give you already have an NA, I have to assume you have some degree of familiarity and competence in dealing with those issues. Again if the price is low enough torn seats are not a problem.

Finally, I'd be very cautious about buying into an engine management system I wasn't familiar with. Have you check around the neighborhood, inquiring different tuners and shops to see if they're capable and willing to work on it? And at what price per hour? I'd do that BEFORE I bought the car and was stuck with something nobody can or wants to work on. Buying something so different from the OEM setup might seem like a great ideal at first; but after you need something done and you take it to a couple of shops who refuse to work on it... then what? Sure you'll eventually find a shop, but my guess is that you'll end a paying a premium because of its uniqueness and/complexities.

Most of here grew into our modifications; learning step by step over a period of months and years. Each upgrade add-on was part of the learning process; and we learned how the aftermarket parts interacted with each other. Troubleshooting a full build, without knowing how each component affects the others is a daunting task.

Were it my decision, knowing what I know after twenty years playing around with Z32s: I'd find myself a nicely modded Stage 3 or 4 TT with basic mods like Selin intake, intercoolers, maybe some larger piping, and an exhaust note that I prefer. That would be my next-step platform and I'd have fun building it up from there. What I would not do, is buy an unknown, fix the broken parts, and then discover that it wasn't what I wanted in the first place.

I get a sense that you want to jump into the deep end of the pool, and that might work for you.... but at least you're asking before you leap... so that is a very good omen.

Good luck buddy, you're on the right forum... we're all a little crazy at one time or another; but TT dot Net has survived this long because we're all not crazy at the same time.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.