TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Considering a unique 91 TT, need advice
People Seeking Info

Subject Considering a unique 91 TT, need advice

Posted by kikoeta on September 29, 2020 at 2:10 PM
  This message has been viewed 581 times.

Message Hi there, first post on here and young enthusiast. I've enjoyed my 95 NA for about a year now but I'm ready to move on to something bigger. I've found a 91 TT that has extensive build history and is fairly unique in the fact that it's controlled with an APEXi Power FC with a Datalogit attached. So far, I've found one or two examples elsewhere of this being done, which is cool, but also intimidating. I'm looking for some ballpark advice, and sorry in advance, as this will be a long one.

Some of its highlights are:
New Wiring Harnesses
Forged Crank and Pistons
New Stillen Silicon Hoses on basically everything
Stillen Intercoolers w/Ducts
Twin HKS Blow-Off Valves
Twin Popcharger Air Intake System
Stillen Super 500 Turbo Upgrade (good for 500hp)
555cc Fuel Injectors
Stillen Oil Cooler
Stage 2 clutch
APEXi Power FC with FC Commander
Data Logit Program for tuning on PC
Tein EDFC Active Pro damping control
Turbo timer and boost controller
Nismo LMGT4 wheels

Paperwork goes back to 96.

This car pushed 396whp in 2013, and the current owner has it somewhere around 374whp on 11psi and 408whp on 14psi right now. It has roughly 60k miles on a full rebuild of the engine, only 160k overall. The car was driven 700mi between 2016 and 2020. Before this owner, it was owned by someone who deployed shortly after he bought it and their family drove it every weekend until he decided to sell to the current owner.

Now, the bad. He says the turbos are on their way out, and with 60k on them, either they have been beaten on their entire life, or something else is wrong. No ideas on the sizing besides that he told me they were T28. In his words, "It only smokes after a good pull because the turbos circulate oil (to cool the turbos), and when you let off the gas the oil pressure in the turbos drops, some allowing oil to pass through the seal because there isn’t pressure pushing it to where it needs." He also mentioned that after a while of driving (2+ hours), "when you hit boost and try to hold it drops boost like a bad turbo does." With the fact this car has ducted Stillen intercoolers, which perform basically the best of any SMIC, I doubt it's heatsoak.

I'm no stranger to working on this engine and this car in general. I've done plenum pulls, deletes, bypasses, replaced most of the transmission components, and did a clutch and flywheel recently as well. I have no hesitation in pulling this engine out and rebuilding the turbos, but like any sane person, I'd rather not. From the mileage of the turbos and the description he's giving, it almost sounds like the oil drain isn't working as it should. Stagnation of oil in the turbo means either not enough is getting fed to it, or too much is being fed and not enough is leaving it. I have also seen that, if excessive knock is occurring, that can cause smoke out the back as well. Somone on an SRT4 form had an issue with that, they ended up pulling timing and ignition back a hair then added fuel to compensate in certain areas, and he has no issues afterward. Bear with any inaccuracies in this, I am fairly new to forced induction principles and open to correction.

Other than the turbos, I guess typical things apply, the bumper is missing a few bolts, seats are worn and torn, he thinks a front wheel may need rebalancing, the car came with gauges that don't work (early 2000's GReddy analog stuff), etc. The car is on an APEXi Power FC like I mentioned, and it has a Datalogit module as well, but the CEL is on due to the ECU "and nothing else". It's also been converted to MAP. He also said, "It’s a lifesaver the boost controller works because the wideband gauge is fried and sits at like 50.3 or 50.4 (which isn’t even an AFR that is possible)." That concerned me a bit, but not a lot. The AC has no refrigerant and needs conversion from R12 to R134a, a shop down by me quoted $300 or so which sucks, but I need AC.

Do you guys think this is worth it? I'm currently a college student and I'll be doing online school after Thanksgiving break, so I can pull the engine then. Until then, the car will be driven 50-100mi a week on the highway just cruising. I don't want to end up ruining a car because I can't restrain myself from doing pulls. I'd appreciate any buyers' advice or advice on the turbo issue especially, as I feel that the mileage doesn't correlate with the facts. Any input on the car would be helpful as well. This car was most likely owned by someone on here, I know 2 previous owners, Torben and Mike.

Have a wonderful day and thank you in advance for any help with this!

Previous listing: https://www.mautofied.com/1991-Nissan-300zx-Twin-Turbo_Import/listing/100607097/
SRT4 Forum Post mentioned: https://www.srtforums.com/threads/oil-smoke-out-exhaust-after-wot.783933/

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.