TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Where's Jim? (or what to do with a failing Selin Device)
People Seeking Info

Subject Where's Jim? (or what to do with a failing Selin Device)

Posted by BoneZ (MD) on September 27, 2020 at 8:35 PM
  This message has been viewed 536 times.

Message What do you do when your Selin Device stops working?

I've been having issues with intermittent unstable idle and stalling. It has progressed in frequency to the point that the Z is not drivable, but I do believe that I've determined the cause to be a bad connection on my V1 Selin device. I'm running a dual MAF, car was tuned by SZ with a chipped ECU.

Today I managed to capture the MAF voltage on ConZult when it was acting up and then running smoothly - This was within a few minutes and without any actions aside from re-starting the car.

conzult

So with a hunting idle, the MAF voltage read 5.12v! Once I restarted the car, the MAF read 1.14v and everything settled out. It appears that moisture is getting captured under one of the MAF boots and causing a short between the red and bare wire - though I would not be surprised if it was shorting across multiple points.
back

front
I've tried to contact Jim at jims@selindesign.net regarding issues with his product, but it appears that he has moved on or is too busy...

While I have certainly gotten my use out of this device, running it since 2010, I'm not going to continue to depend on a product that is no longer available- Never mind not being supported. I can attempt to repair the connector, but that doesn't solve the issue of running a non-replaceable, single point of failure configuration.

It looks like a stand-alone is the only option to running dual intakes - convert to MAP? This is where I think I'm headed currently.

I appreciate you inputs - BoneZ

-

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.