TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I've got such mixed feelings about this car (and Nissan)
People Seeking Info

Subject I've got such mixed feelings about this car (and Nissan)

Posted by Ted (92TT) on September 16, 2020 at 3:14 PM
  This message has been viewed 265 times.

In Reply To My Proto Z thoughts, the ups and downs posted by Stanky (BC) on September 15, 2020 at 09:54 PM

Message 'A' for effort, just to even take on such a contrarian project at a time when Nissan arguably should be looking at an exit plan. To get this project past a 2nd look must have taken some serious clout.

As far as Nissan designs go, I think every car they've ever made, with exceptions I can count on one hand, have been butt ugly, or at least uninspired. As a small child, I could recognize each Z (240, 260, 280, 300) immediately by their individual differences, and clearly the Z32 was a departure. They could have called it something else, but it is still an amazingly beautiful car.

The proto Z reaches back to the original Z lineage while keeping the Z33 and Z34 styling cues. I don't see anything other than drivetrain that makes me think "Z32." The interior reminds me of the Z31. Will a voice tell you when a door is open that door is open? Now that would be homage, lol.

I think performance numbers will be disappointing. A rear-drive manual will never have comparable numbers to an all-wheel electronic twin clutch. Does anyone under 30 even know how to drive a car with three pedals anymore? My kids think riding in the "race car" is fun, but when they say "fun," it sounds more like "quaint." Sorta like riding a horse is fun, but they're not great on the freeway.

I hope the new Z kills. It would be great to see a resurgence in sports cars for sporting's sake. But I would never bet money on Nissan.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.