TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Cheap ones are still out there, and most OEM parts are
People Seeking Info

Subject Cheap ones are still out there, and most OEM parts are

Posted by Gordo LSZ Daytona on August 03, 2020 at 3:10 PM
  This message has been viewed 269 times.

In Reply To Re: Z32 Values are on the rise. posted by stephensjpZ32x2 on August 03, 2020 at 01:59 PM

Message available from Z1, CZP etc. or else off part outs on EBay. But it won't last forever.

I bought my current 200,000 mile '96 NA for $2800 and spent another $7000 to bring it back to almost a #2 Driver status. Parts were easy to find and reasonable, although some items, like radio bezel surrounds, the passenger side cowls, etc. are getting scarce and one has to decide quickly if he wants 100% OEM, or a good quality look-alike.

With mine, most casual observers think it is a well kept original car with wheels and a replacement stereo. The point being, anyone today could find a similar TT starter chassis and restore it to 90% OEM original looking Twin Turbo for a couple of grand more than I spent.

So if you're willing to put in the labor, you can get yourself a Z32 with a market value of $25K for an initial outlay of about $10-$15,000 all in. It won't win its class at ZCON, or end up in a Sotheby's Auction; but for the Cars and Coffee crowd, they'll all point to your re-popped under hood stickers, and believe it's a true survivor car.... Which is what we all secretly wanted before we got bitten by the upgrade bug twenty years and twenty grand ago.

Guys like Bernie who work on these cars all the time, will tell you though that the window on parts availability is closing quickly. Ten years from now, today's parts car bare chassis will be on the block as a new project starter-chassis. Then they'll sell you doors, hoods, etc. separately, and you'll pay through the nose for almost any NOS items you need to finish it correctly. So if you're young and have the resources and wherewithal to keep a project around for the next ten years; today is the time to start looking.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.