TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Yes. Very hot air indeed. Time to cut it up a bit.
People Seeking Info

Subject Yes. Very hot air indeed. Time to cut it up a bit.

Posted by Gordo LSZ Daytona on July 24, 2020 at 8:19 AM
  This message has been viewed 169 times.

In Reply To As Seb from Specialty Z calls it: posted by vorpalZed on July 23, 2020 at 11:27 PM

Message It's been an interesting project doing the swap. The actual mating and matching of different parts was pretty easy given I had a kit with the plate adaptors, wiring harness, etc. What has proven more challenging is working out all the bugs like this one. I searched for months to find the right shifter that would put the T56 handle in the middle of our Z32 console opening. Heater hoses needed a return recirculation bloc before the firewall as the LS motors send coolant through the GM cores as part of the engine circulation.

The big ticket stuff involved exhausts and suspensions. I am about 150 lbs lighter in the front end vs an iron block NA motor and have had to experiment with different shocks and springs to get ride height and comfort matched. Needed a custom mid pipe if I wanted to use cats, which I did. Still too loud for my tastes, but this is more hot rod than anything else.

Now I'm on to tuning. The LS6 came out of a Cadillac CTS-V series which is close to 1300 lbs heavier than my 3200 lb Z... with a 54 lb dual mass flywheel we ditched for an C7 ZO6 setup. We opened up the TB to 97mm and added Kooks long tubes and flow through exhaust. So now the engine is breathing so much better, but the tune is off. My guru says there is another 30 HP on the table plus smoother on/off throttle transitions with an HP Tune on the dyno. That's next.

Like I said, it's still a work in progress... but aren't they all?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.