TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - That's completely backwards
People Seeking Info

Subject That's completely backwards

Posted by BlackholeZ on June 14, 2020 at 12:27 PM
  This message has been viewed 113 times.

In Reply To I'm assuming you have stock turbos? I didn't see it listed posted by Ghoztt (MD) on June 10, 2020 at 11:00 AM

Message A larger IC will have a lower pressure drop. Its larger volume will take measurably longer to pressurize, but it's arguable whether that will be noticeable.
The larger flow cross section is a lower restriction and makes the job easier on the turbo. This is why the massives/big piping opened up so much power.
Along with making the turbo not have to work as hard (so less heat) they will do a better job cooling and your resulting IATs will be lower. This is why boost pressures dropped when massives/piping was added. Mass flow increased but the system was working so much more efficiently that the pressures didn't have to be as high.
Boost pressure is a bullshit number and really doesn't mean anything. Charge air density/mass flow is what matters.

All that said, on a stock turbo car without supporting mods, larger intercoolers will be a bit of diminishing returns. I don't have 2.5" piping yet and I'm running some used Stillen ICs with great results. They may become the restriction once I get 2.5" piping. They're a great option for stock piping cars though.

-Dan

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."
"'she' also likes to swap since I think I am going to need to give her to woody again." - Dvlhntr
"full alphabetic boost mode" -
ChristopherTheOne

" Purrs like a sexually satisfied black panther." - BigTDogg
"Two oil eating, angry, spinning triangles of death." - turtleboy on rotary engines

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.