TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - That's a loaded question with many variables
People Seeking Info

Subject That's a loaded question with many variables

Posted by Ghoztt (MD) on June 10, 2020 at 12:45 PM
  This message has been viewed 224 times.

In Reply To Re: You would be pushing the CZP G5 turbos too hard to reach posted by MJzTTZ on June 10, 2020 at 11:45 AM

Message Engine builds create breathing room for reliability insurance. Can you run those desired numbers? Yes. Should you? What do you plan to do with the car? Circuit? Drag? Street? I would say the more consistent levels of punishment require your setup to be safer to handle it reliably. In my opinion *I* would not run more than 600~650rwhp on a stock engine, because I don't want to deal with the financial ramifications nor the lost labor time spent because *I* got cheap or lazy.

Drag tends to live dangerously with aggressive tunes due to the short periods of time that the vehicle will be pushed to the limit. Hence why you see things like sealed water jackets, etc on drag setups. Horsepower is king here.

Circuit track setups tend to be far more conservative on tunes due to the elevated level of heat saturation throughout the car. This requires a richer mix of fuel to help cool cylinders, leaving room on the table in turbo efficiencies to bring intake temps down, and things of that nature. Horsepower takes a backseat to reliability and a safe tune.

Street or "Occasional" track use tends to float somewhere in the middle.

I'll assume street since E85 is typical for someone wanted to get an extra bit of kick while not having to care so much about fuel consumption rates. Since the 530BB's or the "G5" kit from CZP is a flywheel hp rating under normal supporting modifications. I have seen 530's hit comfortably into the low-to-occasional-mid 500rwhp's running on most, if not all, supporting mods. In turn, 550's punching a bit above that, but nothing crazy. The issue starts to become exhaust side turbo housing back pressure start to hike up and you just run out of flow, regardless of intake modifications done.

Enter the GTX2860's, larger rear housing to alleviate that problem while maintaining quicker spool. Don't focus so much on the desired HP number as much as focusing on the desired seat of the pants result and peace of mind. Anything 500~600+ rwhp on the street is "really" fast and will struggle for traction anyway without proper tires. I'm sure many others will have opinions regarding turbos and what "can" be done. Just remember that power isn't everything, and can feel like garbage when not supported on all of the other areas (brakes, chassis, cooling, etc). Hope that helps.

1993 Nissan 300ZX Slicktop (Oxford Gray Metallic)
1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R (Gunmetal Gray)
- Long Live the Z and Godzirra! -
"Love cars. Love people. Love life." - Mr. K.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.