TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I'm assuming you have stock turbos? I didn't see it listed
People Seeking Info

Subject I'm assuming you have stock turbos? I didn't see it listed

Posted by Ghoztt (MD) on June 10, 2020 at 11:00 AM
  This message has been viewed 130 times.

In Reply To So this pushes me further onto the SZ side of this, but for posted by Woodnutz on June 10, 2020 at 08:58 AM

Message in your profile. Anyway, I am no expert by any means so perhaps a fluid dynamics expert can comment further on this or correct me if I'm wrong.

Going with too large of an intercooler can cause two issues: Increase in intake charge temperatures and increased lag. While minor given the volumetric capacities that we're discussing, it can be felt and seen on a dyno graph. An intercooler that is too large creates a pressure drop that requires the turbo to work harder (takes longer = lag) to pressurize the system to a given level. For example if your system has a 2 psi pressure drop from turbo outlet to intake manifold, your turbo will essentially be pushing 16psi to equalize that. The higher the pressure drop the harder the turbo works, increasing intake heat, which decreases power under the curve, which in turn can cause detonation in more extreme cases.

These intercoolers are designed for the 2.5" diameter piping kit from SZ, not the stock size piping. Unless you're trying to turn your stock turbos way up I doubt these IC's would be advisable or the best option for your goals, even though they are an excellent quality product. Perhaps consider Stillen, HKS, etc, to bolt up to your stock piping?

1993 Nissan 300ZX Slicktop (Oxford Gray Metallic)
1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R (Gunmetal Gray)
- Long Live the Z and Godzirra! -
"Love cars. Love people. Love life." - Mr. K.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.