TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Update on Compressor Clutch fix....
People Seeking Info

Subject Update on Compressor Clutch fix....

Posted by Gordo NA2LS Daytona on September 18, 2019 at 12:08 PM
  This message has been viewed 130 times.

In Reply To Need an OEM 95-96 AC Compressor Clutch - new or good used. posted by Gordo NA2LS Daytona on September 12, 2019 at 10:58 AM

Message I received the rebuilt compressor clutch but could not disassemble it because they rebuilt it using a 'washer' instead of the c-clip. It looked like it was snapped into the groove, and I saw no way to remove it w/o damaging something. It needed to be pulled off because the pulley offsets are different and I'd have to use my existing pulley / bearing to keep belt alignment correct.

To make matters worse, I noticed refrigerant leaking from the shaft seal. Kudos to those who mentioned that as a failure point. That was the deal breaker. Time to cut my losses.

Rather than go through a rebuild of an unknown quality rebuild, I decided to bite the bullet and just buy a new OEM compressor from Z-1 at $480 shipped. My AC guy is giving me a big break on vacuuming out and recharging the unit, so that'll offset some of the costs involved.

The lesson here, as others have noted; is that rebuilt parts like this are a gamble unless you know the source. Otherwise they're very sketchy. I thought I was getting a great deal on a rebuilt for like $200... NOT. It was money wasted. Gordo.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.