TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - New project car. Anyone ever recover a fire damaged engine?
People Seeking Info

Subject New project car. Anyone ever recover a fire damaged engine?

Posted by Polish on May 21, 2019 at 7:53 PM
  This message has been viewed 572 times.

Message I recently bought a 94 Auto 2+2 with 125k on it for 500 bucks. Pristine interior, of which I intend to move the seats, dash, driver door card and a few other pieces to my TT. I am however planning on trying to get the fire damaged Z back on the road and either sell it or give to my parents (who had a 95 Black 2+2 that was totaled). It seems the previous owner who experienced the fire pulled over right away and someone happened to have a fire extinguisher so it was really just the top end that was roasted. The hood was slightly damaged (and already scrapped) I have a 95 parts car which is also an NA Auto, so I should have most of what is needed to get it running.

Does anyone have any experience with a motor that suffered a brief fire on the top end? I'll have more photos of the motor once I have it out, but I'm thinking it should be rather salvageable and just need the top-end rebuilt, with a new 120k kit on the front. I plan to toss out everything down to the valve covers and start the rebuild there. Any insight or input is appreciated.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.