TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - You misunderstand me
People Seeking Info

Subject You misunderstand me

Posted by LJZTT on May 21, 2019 at 7:29 PM
  This message has been viewed 256 times.

In Reply To I'm sorry I don't have more time to spend responding. posted by not4resaleZ on May 21, 2019 at 06:12 PM

Message I havent advocated against EVs but I do point out the lies that are being used to promote them. I always place heavy scrutiny on anything that lies to justfy itself. Uncommon sense I guess.
I looked at a couple EV's when I bought my last DD a couple years back, but they simply are almost all poor values unless you are strictly a city commuter AND your EV has regenerative charging and/or a range extender. I met an i3 owner who lived in downtown Miami and he told me he could sometimes go weeks without plugging in, commuting to work M-F in Miami traffic. EV's burn through charge like mad on the highway at highway speeds, even worse during summer heat with the A/C on. I don't have an issue with EVs I am simply pointing out that Tesla is in dire straights and Tesla owners need to be aware so they can protect themselves by making informed decisions. Something that seems to be getting harder and harder to do as time goes on.
Generally-speaking EV's simply do not make economic sense yet for most people otherwise Tesla would be in a far better situation than they currently are in, but lets assume EVs do make economic sense for the sake of argument....
Tesla is still a buyer-beware company, for all the facts that have been referred to plus more. EV aficionados would be far better off with most other offerings, even though the competition may not meet their subjective requirements (weird I thought the whole point was to save the environment, not to be fashionable, feature-filled, etc.).

As for E85, I am not sure what you are referring to, but just about everything I said many years ago is coming to pass.

E85 is disappearing from far more pumps than new ones. I personally havent seen a new E85 pump in years. Nor have I ever seen a single station expand to additional pumps. My experience has been mostly Florida, not exactly a podunk market, and isnt necesarily representative but I don't know anyone whose experience has been different anywhere else since before 2016. This brings another point, if E85 is a better alternative to gasoline for the average driver, then why hasnt it caught on (much less caught fire) outside of the midwest after nearly a decade? And why is it so concentrated in the midwest? Because it is propped up politically and does not deliver value to the consumer in general, simple. I would love to see actual data for who is actually running vehicles on E85. My bet is it is very niche.

The incentive for manufacturers has expired. All current FFV powertrains were developed during the period leading up to 2016 (when the incentive for manufacturers expired). It is a good bet that once all this old stock reaches the end of its life cycle, you will see a large decline in FFV offerings in the next generation of powertrains outside models that are also fleet vehicles. Straight attrition. Will accelerate if manufacturers find themselves forced to look for ways to cut design costs.

E85 price is largely relatively close enough to regular unleaded that demand for the fuel has cratered. Obviously it doesnt make sense to save 10% on fuel just to consume 15% more of it.

I was very clear, switching to E85 is a dumb idea unless you either have a long-term guaranteed source for the fuel, implement some degree of flexfuel so that when the pumps go away you aren't screwed, or you dont mind reverting back to 93 octane or redoing your project to add flex fuel capability. We had a handful of retards telling people to "just switch" to E85, which can be done for significantly cheaper than setting up a true flexfuel solution. This was terrible advice as E85 was a purely political development in the industry and therefore was very likely to go away when the political winds shifted or lobbyists moved on.

30 years ago...or now?

"I torch my soul to show the world that I am pure deep inside my heart...."
--William Patrick Corgan

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.