TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Thank you so much! Some thoughts about your son...
People Seeking Info

Subject Thank you so much! Some thoughts about your son...

Posted by Jayru on February 27, 2019 at 6:42 PM
  This message has been viewed 217 times.

In Reply To Subscribed - best of luck on the endeavor. Our youngest... posted by Woodnutz on February 27, 2019 at 06:17 PM

Message like you said, it's a different situation, and your son likely faces challenges in the future that I won't understand, but the underlying stigma of "disability" is a relatable one, and I can offer a few thoughts on it that hopefully help you (and your son) in the future!

I would definitely not shy away from seeking guidance from organizations/groups/other parents that deal with autism. When I was a child, I wanted nothing to do with groups that focused on limb difference/disability (to the bewilderment of my parents), I just wanted to be "normal." And for the most part I was fine.

But after making my film and meeting people that DID grow up in those circles, I realized how much more prepared they were to deal with a lot of the stuff you face/go through when growing up different. Had I been involved at that early stage, I may have not had to make a film to figure that shit out in my 30's! Just realizing you have so much in common (in good ways) with people who share similar experiences like that was eye opening in itself for me. It's just like why all us car guys have a comradery, there's a natural bond in the shared experience.

But at the same time, give your son the freedom to choose and don't let that be his only social circle, if that makes sense. I'm sure there will be lots of days where he just wants to be a regular kid, and not have to be reminded that he is different. And that's fine too! I think it's best to strike a balance between the two worlds to get the best outcome.

I hope this helps in some small way!

93 2+2 Twin Turbo Track Build - jsworks.org for more info!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.