TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Ethanol attracts water and absorbs it to a point. After
People Seeking Info

Subject Ethanol attracts water and absorbs it to a point. After

Posted by SirpriZ on January 12, 2019 at 12:20 PM
  This message has been viewed 222 times.

In Reply To Seems like a waste of money to pay for something posted by not4resaleZ on January 11, 2019 at 12:29 PM

Message phase separation occurs you have water in the tank that doesn't bind to the fuel, and can screw up you A/F mixture (the ECU doesn't know it's delivering water instead of fuel). This is where a fuel stabilizer makes sense, to absorb water that no longer can be absorbed by the ethanol. And, as someone noted, filling the tank up to full will minimize the area to form moisture. My degrees aren't in chemistry, so I may be using incorrect terms, but I think I understand the process: Ethanol attracts water, up to a point the ethanol can absorb the water, past a certain point the ethanol can no longer absorb the water (phase separation), water can accumulate in the tank and do bad things. This is where a fuel stabilizer makes sense, to absorb the excess water. I'm going to guess that this is for long term storage, not daily driven vehicles that use ethanol. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding the basic process.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.