TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Rear control arm bushings. Slip fit w/ bolt or some play?
People Seeking Info

Subject Rear control arm bushings. Slip fit w/ bolt or some play?

Posted by Gordo NA2LS Daytona on December 12, 2018 at 12:35 PM
  This message has been viewed 263 times.

Message The subframe is dropped and partially disassembled. Objective #1 is to replace the existing subframe bushings w/ a set of OEM 24k miles take-offs sourced from Bernie. However, now that I have access to all the moving parts, I want to examine the other bushings for replacement as needed. The chassis has 200K easy miles. (One woman owner for twenty one years)

Most of the control arm bushing rubber looks solid; with no signs of deterioration, cracking or crumbling. But when I examine the bolt fit inside the bushing metal sleeve there is a noticeable amount of bolt/sleeve freeplay and I am unsure how much is acceptable. I assumed the bolt would be a snug slip fit, but I can wiggle the bolts in their sleeves which caused me to ask for guidance here.

I measured the ID on some random bushing sleeves at 12.5 mm, and the shoulder of the corresponding bolts averaged about 11.5 mm. There is no sign of noticeable wearing on the bolts, and the interior surface of the sleeves do not appear to be distressed or scored.

I am wondering is this normal; or is it normal wear on a 200K suspension? I don't mind replacing the bushings, but it would be a lot of work just to get the same bolt/sleeve fit.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.