TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Yes, using AEM CAS disc
People Seeking Info

Subject Yes, using AEM CAS disc

Posted by LitlElvis on December 10, 2018 at 6:48 PM
  This message has been viewed 198 times.

In Reply To Been over a decade sinse i had that turd in the car posted by kickerzx on December 10, 2018 at 01:14 PM

Message I agree that the AEM S1 and it's software are not user friendly or documented very well on how to use one outside the scope of a PnP application, but it's what I have... think of me as an ECU programming Indiana Jones on a quest to figure out a relic :) If you're willing to discuss some ECU workings and what you remember of AEM logic, here's what I understand so far:

AEM CAS disc with 24 teeth in a 6 cylinder = 4 teeth per cylinder ignition event = 30° crankshaft rotation per tooth.

VG firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6

In AEM lingo, the way they setup the firing order is by calling out the CAS tooth that corresponds to each cylinder's TDC event, so to define the entire 720° cycle...

Ign Tooth #01 = 0 teeth
Ign Tooth #02 = 4 teeth
Ign Tooth #03 = 8 teeth
Ign Tooth #04 = 12 teeth
Ign Tooth #05 = 16 teeth
Ign Tooth #06 = 20 teeth

This ignition firing order setup makes sense to me since I can correlate the "Ign Tooth #X to the same #X cylinder, but the way they setup the injector sequential firing order falls apart after the first cylinder. My understanding is the injector should fire roughly 360° BTDC of the compression stroke and to program this in AEM lingo that should simply be either adding (or subtracting) 12 teeth from the ignition setup to give:

Inj Tooth #01 = 12 teeth
Inj Tooth #02 = 16 teeth
Inj Tooth #03 = 20 teeth
Inj Tooth #04 = 0 teeth
Inj Tooth #05 = 4 teeth
Inj Tooth #06 = 8 teeth

But here's how AEM does it:

Inj Tooth #01 = 12 teeth (this is as expected)
Inj Tooth #02 = 4 teeth
Inj Tooth #03 = 20 teeth (this is as expected)
Inj Tooth #04 = 8 teeth
Inj Tooth #05 = 16 teeth
Inj Tooth #06 = 0 teeth

I cannot make out any rhyme or reason to this injector teeth setup for cylinders 2, 4, 5, and 6. What little documentation that is available from AEM lists each injector driver by number (1 though 6) and they correspond to the same cylinder numbers, so it shouldn't be a hardware mix-up... I'm to the point that I figure I should just put the numbers in that I think are correct and see how it runs.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.