TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - basic list I send out every year to SZ dyno participants
People Seeking Info

Subject basic list I send out every year to SZ dyno participants

Posted by vorpalZ on September 19, 2018 at 3:12 PM
  This message has been viewed 253 times.

In Reply To Putting my car on the dyno next weekend. I'm going through posted by Boostjuice on September 16, 2018 at 03:41 PM

Message Basic Pre-Dyno Checklist

- no leaks, oil, coolant, fuel, ps fluid, trans or diff.
- Base timing set to 15 deg BTDC. SZ checks and adjusts timing when the car is strapped down, but it is best if you do this beforehand.
- boost leak tested and vacuum tight (or boost leaks narrowed down to tiny ones that don't drop pressure immediately. All small vacuum tubing zip tied to the hard connectors.
- New spark plugs for the tuning session. Not negotiable, this must be done. We have lost valuable dyno time with misfiring plugs with cars strapped on the dyno that we had to run out and find new plugs to install. 'Low mileage' or 'Installed this year' not good enough. I usually have an extra set with me and SZ pack sets as well. I am adamant on this one:
• 300ZX: NGK Iridium BKR7EIX – excellent plug for moderate to higher boost. You can run the 8’s if you’re going for high boost
• 350Z/G35 : NGK Iridiums LFR5AIX-11 Specialty Z recommend heat range 6s for NA and mild F.I. applications and 7s for any or all F.I. applications.
• 370Z/G37 : NGK DILKAR8A8 Nissan OEM GTR Plugs
- Correct octane fuel for tuning, and less than 1/2 tank if you're switching fuels for multiple tunes. Switching fuels on 350Z/370Z involves opening up the top of the fuel tank inside the car and pumping out from the top… not easy.
- All electronics installed and working. We're not installing and setting up a new boost controller on the dyno.
- Bring a basic set of tools... wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers. Be prepared to remove/ replace parts if asked.
- Be prepared to help out... go for a parts run... get drinks/food or just stay the hell out of the way. We've had a bunch of looky-loos crowding the dyno when the men are trying to work on someone else's car, we're not afraid to bark at people if needed.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.