TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I still recommend Mobil1 5w-50 (which is more like a 5w-45)
People Seeking Info

Subject I still recommend Mobil1 5w-50 (which is more like a 5w-45)

Posted by Polish on September 08, 2018 at 2:24 PM
  This message has been viewed 285 times.

In Reply To RP 20W-50 HPS motor oil...still a fave with members ? posted by TTkeeper on September 08, 2018 at 10:09 AM

Message I think TT motors especially thrive on thicker 50w oil since they run so warm, especially heavily modified or higher-mileage motors. The cold rating will really depend on the climate of where you're starting the car. The 5w rating of this oil has been perfect for me year-round for cold starts in moderate california climate. For extreme heat climates, you probably could get away with Mobil1 15w50. A 15w-50 will have a slightly thicker "50wt" than a "50wt" from a 5w-50. The reason for this is you have to add a bunch more viscosity modifiers to 5w-50 for the oil weight to change such an extreme range from 5 to 50. However for 15w-50 and 20w-50, those need less viscosity modifiers to get from their cold starting viscosity to their 50 warm viscosity rating, and therefore end up with a slightly thicker warm viscosity than say a 5w-50. This is why I said 5w-50 is probably closer to like a 5w-45, which is still superb protection.

With this all being said, the basis of my recommendation running 5w-50 is that most people have some miles on their motor. On my basically brand new OEM (and stock) motor, I am running Mobil 1 5w40, as I don't feel like I need extra protection just yet. I'll switch to 5w50 once I put 60-70K miles on the motor. For someone who doesn't really want to think about this too much, I still think Mobil 1 5w-50 is the best "Set it and forget it" year-round oil for most climates.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.