TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Got the EGR and exhaust nut out in 10 minutes
People Seeking Info

Subject Got the EGR and exhaust nut out in 10 minutes

Posted by 300NASeattle on June 17, 2018 at 1:24 AM
  This message has been viewed 455 times.

In Reply To EGR Delete : One step away - only plenum pull posted by 300NASeattle on June 16, 2018 at 07:45 PM

Message I was able to break the bolts free with a ratcheting wrench and then unscrewed the EGR bolts by hand. The same for the exhaust manifold pipe connection - loosened it 1/16th of a turn (about 1/8" at the end of the adjustable vise grips) and then unscrewed it by hand. All three came out like they were new.

I did spray them once a day for the last 3 days with a penetrating oil and the heat from the dremel cuts may have helped, though all the threads appear to have no corrosion on them. I think I got really lucky.

There was no clearance issues since I did not need to remove the EGR bolts from the EGR body. I just pulled the EGR body with the loosened bolts up as a unit.

Cut the EGR to exhaust manifold pipe at the 90 degree bend and pulled the majority of the pipe out with the EGR body.

Much more room to connect the heater hoses and hard pipes when they come.

Cleaned up the PCV pipe that runs from the driver's side exhaust cover to the passenger side. Cut off most of the unneeded vacuum and water pipes that will be capped on the replacement heater core hard pipes but left the few inches of vacuum lines that connect the PCV pipe to the mounting bracket so the PCV line is supported on the passenger side.

A minimal amount of water and some sudless Meguire's All Purpose Cleaner made the cleanup a snap. The dremel on low speed with a brass cup brush cuts quickly through the heavy grime areas. I use this cleaner on the exhaust tips as well - I think s it works faster and does a better job than the normal wheel cleaners for getting rid of black soot marks.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.