TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - There were 3 reasons for casting these in 3 separate parts.
People Seeking Info

Subject There were 3 reasons for casting these in 3 separate parts.

Posted by Ash's Z on January 31, 2018 at 10:54 PM
  This message has been viewed 557 times.

In Reply To I’m sure it’s probably far too late, but it would be nice if posted by Aaronw on January 31, 2018 at 07:09 PM

Message One had to do with the yield in the casting process. Large parts like this, if cast in one piece, pose greater mold refinement in order to prevent voids in the part. As the metal flows through the mold, it will cool and if it solidifies in any area before filling the casting space, it will result in a hole or worse, a larger section where the metal simply doesn't fill. Raising the temperature of the metal to try and get around this creates a different problem with porosity within the metal which leads to leakage through the casting.

Another benefit of casting it in 3 separate parts is that it allows for the large inner faces of the plenum chambers and the inner walls of the runners to be media blasted after shaking out all of the mold material. Since the molds are silica sand based it is important that any of this material is removed from the part.

And finally, a well known person in our community has offered to work with me to produce carbon-fiber endtanks for this new intake. I will have the center runner sections cast separately for use in assembling them with these CF plenum chambers..

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the
tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.