TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - True
People Seeking Info

Subject True

Posted by BlackholeZ on November 06, 2017 at 11:43 AM
  This message has been viewed 425 times.

In Reply To Sure. The Borg Warner EFRs have an efficient wastegate. posted by MixManMash on November 05, 2017 at 06:38 PM

Message And that's part of what I was meaning with moderate vs extreme builds. Internal wastegates are adequate in the low 20psi ranges that a lot of us run. I used to work on a lot of DSMs and internal wastegate troubles and boost creep were always an issue because they were pushing 35+ psi. Also with these more efficient turbos we're able to run more lb/min at lower boost pressures, which lessens the need for an external wastegate. Still, if you're going for a wild build, a wild setup will be needed to do it right.
As always, packaging is the main issue on our car, and the main reason external wastegates aren't a more common option. It'll be interesting to see if these turbos make that more of an option. If Garrett is to believed, the 660 would be a 1200BHP pair of turbos for us. Definitely something worth spending some R&D time. I can tell you if I had a bigger garage and weren't still in school I'd be working on prototyping a pair of manifolds for a mirrored v-band setup.

-Dan

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."
"'she' also likes to swap since I think I am going to need to give her to woody again." - Dvlhntr
"full alphabetic boost mode" -
ChristopherTheOne

" Purrs like a sexually satisfied black panther." - BigTDogg
"Two oil eating, angry, spinning triangles of death." - turtleboy on rotary engines

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.