TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - More thoughts...
People Seeking Info

Subject More thoughts...

Posted by ConVerTT on October 15, 2017 at 9:46 AM
  This message has been viewed 464 times.

In Reply To I'm under the impression that if one seized, this posted by FrozTTy on October 15, 2017 at 09:11 AM

Message So I would think that a single turbo "might" still make some net positive boost....but I am guessing .... and that also kind of makes my point...

Point: A boost leak test will narrow things down. If you pass the test, (eliminate or rule out leaks) then you can think turbo, pull down pipes, engine out etc. But a boost leak test will also tell if its something simpler (like maybe the plenum gasket isn't set properly, or a loose spark plug - I use those examples because you said you had the plenum off)

So - I would just grab a cheap inline regulator and gauge for your compressor and get at it. (Actually, since you are making one, I would grab a couple of quick disconnects too and install the regulator right between the hose and the boost leak tester to make it convenient to adjust the pressure).

Trust me - this is easier (and better) than pulling turbos or even downpipes. And if you change the turbo you should boost leak test anyways so this is definitely in your near future. Personally, I ALWAYS boost leak test after the engine had been out now. Ask me "why" LOL

That said, if you go ahead and pull the turbo without leak testing, you won't be the first TT.net member to do his first boost leak test AFTER his first engine pull ... just saying :-)

ConVerTT - 93 Hi Compression TT Convertible (black)
XtraVerTT - 93 Hi Compression TT Convertible (glacier white)
SlickTTop - 96 OBD1 TT Slicktop (black)
Old Yeller - 90 Slicktop NA (PGY)
RedZed - 90 "factory" 2+0 TT
EmoZed - 89 RHD for parts - RIP

And their hot Asian Cousin - 01 Acura NSX NA

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.