TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Use a good synthetic oil
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Use a good synthetic oil

Posted by VinZmax on October 13, 2017 at 7:25 AM
  This message has been viewed 608 times.

In Reply To Use a good synthetic oil posted by DAYTONAZ on October 13, 2017 at 06:09 AM

Message ^^^ 110%! Same thing I was thinking when I read the original post.

Most oils today and way better than the best oils from 25 years ago. But still, you want to spend a bit more and buy the better rated oils now made.
Also read up on oils and see that what's sometimes called 'Full Synthetic' is not actually synthetic, but modified petroleum oil. Not that it's all bad, but you need to know the product you're using and use what fits the application. 100% synthetic is actually the designation for 'real' synthetic oil.

Either way, oils that won't 'coke' on the hot turbo bearings are what you want. That's what will lead to increased longevity on a turbo.

Also, what I do when getting close to home is go easy on the car when in the last mile or so from home. Then the car is naturally cooling down as I'm getting ready to shut 'er down. I think that's better than just pulling into the garage and letting the car idle there or having a turbo timer let the car idle it. To me, it's not effectively cooling that way anyway. No air flow over the oil cooler and not flow over the radiator. It's better to coast a bit as you're coming home and let the extra air flow give a chance to cool the oil and the coolant.

Vinnie

Vinnie

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.