TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - To FUCA or not to FUCA? Getting front alignment back in spec
People Seeking Info

Subject To FUCA or not to FUCA? Getting front alignment back in spec

Posted by nissubaru on September 26, 2017 at 9:41 PM
  This message has been viewed 812 times.

Message I've read extensively on this topic through numerous searches but with most things I find regarding the z32, the information is 15+ years old and there's always more than one opinion over the years.

My question is specifically in regards to getting the front camber alignment back in spec. What I've read is that there should be no need to use a FUCA because you can just shim out the stock control arm bracket to get camber back in spec. This is always hit with criticism because of how it's kind of a guessing game as to how many shims to add in order to get the camber in spec. Most alignment shops will never take the time to do this or do it right etc etc.

Obviously there's the simple solution of the 300 degree camber but when I pulled my front wheels off and took a look I noticed my FUCA mounting bracket was already shimmed out to hell. In fact, it's so shimmed out that the nuts that hold everything together don't fully thread onto the bolts. Idk how much of an inch the mounting bracket is currently being shimmed out vs the 300 degrees .30" of shim, but I'm pretty positive that the bolts were not replaced with longer ones like in the 300 degree kit. Additionally the front tires on the car have some camber wear (from the previous owner) leading me to believe that the camber is still out of spec.

This was all on stock shocks and springs btw, I have since "lowered" the car on Tanabe springs (1.5"F and 1.1"R drop) and replaced all the shocks. As some of you may already know the 300 degree kit was meant to be used with Eibach springs for a .8" drop but since I went lower it really makes me wonder if I'll even be able to get the car in spec with longer bolts and more shims. I'm sure there was some spring sag on the original springs....but the car is definitely lower now which can only mean it's going to be more out of alignment. Stock wheels btw.

I also read that the metal where the FUCA bracket mounts within the fender wall flexes/pulls over time which hurts the alignment even more. With the amount of shimming done to my car already it makes you wonder if that's the case here instead of just old saggy springs or rubber bushings.

I'm almost ready to take my car in for an alignment after all the work I've done to it. If I have to do FUCA's (and tension rods) that's fine but I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting my money first if I should just be shimming the mounting brackets out. Also, if I buy those cheap maxspeedingrod fucas, will I die? lol <$100 vs >$300+ seems like a better option

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.