TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: I have looked into a larger booster but doubt that
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: I have looked into a larger booster but doubt that

Posted by VinZmax on September 20, 2017 at 7:23 AM
  This message has been viewed 393 times.

In Reply To I have looked into a larger booster but doubt that posted by JMartz on September 19, 2017 at 01:46 PM

Message Do you mean how does the vacuum pump system work?
If so, it works by having a vacuum sensor switch inline with the vacuum hose to the booster. When vacuum drops below set threshold, the pump kicks on. This would mean you have power brakes whenever the pump runs. So theoretically, you'd have power brakes even with the key on and the engine not even running yet.

Some people also put a reserve tank inline so that the booster has an ample supply of vacuum at all times. Makes the pump not have to turn on and off so often.
This is actually old stuff for the hotrodders crowd. They've had to deal with getting more vacuum to their boosters for a long time because a lot of those guys have cars with BIG cams that produce very low engine vacuum at idle. With their engine setups, those guys have little to no power brakes, so they came up with the vacuum pump setup.

*and yes, I know about the small vac pump for the CC. I thought that was very cool. If that was made to run off of a vacuum switch, and then pull vacuum from a reserve tank, andddddd you don't mind giving up cruise control, then that could be made to work for the vacuum system. I'm just not sure how much vacuum it can actually pull. You'd have to put a gauge on it and run it off of 12dc power to take a reading. If it pulls more vacuum that the engine, and does so quickly, then you could use the already available pump for the brakes.

Vinnie

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.