TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Brakes don't feel as powerful as I'd expect? ABS bleed?
People Seeking Info

Subject Brakes don't feel as powerful as I'd expect? ABS bleed?

Posted by nissubaru on September 18, 2017 at 9:58 AM
  This message has been viewed 1168 times.

Message Longish post but I've worked on the car way more than I've driven it since purchasing the car about 17 months ago, so I'm really not sure what to compare it to other than my other cars which are way way newer (08 Legacy GT and 09 335i). My moms Kia also seems to stop easier given the pedal input. I wouldn't say the pedal is mushy or anything, I just have to press harder than I'd expect for the same stopping power.

My first assumption was brake booster so I did the usual tests. With the car off, I pumped the brake pedal a bunch of times, held it down with my foot, then turned the car on. The pedal and my foot depressed another 1/2 inch or so which as far as I'm aware means it's fine. I also tested by holding the pedal down when turning the car off and it held the pressure just fine without dropping.

Aside from the brake booster, I rebuilt all 4 calipers and installed new stainless lines and installed Stoptech Street pads. Brembo blank rotors in the back, fronts seem pretty new so I didn't replace. Snapped one of the hard lines to the caliper so I replaced that as well.

Bled brakes all the way around with a new bottle of fluid. However what I didn't do at the time was bleed the ABS, maybe this is why the car doesn't stop as hard as I'd expect?

Additionally, I posted a few weeks back about a leak in the BMC or hard line...I didn't see any signs of this when I went back to work on the car the following week. I may have just overfilled the reservoir at one point and it was just making its way down after I forgot about it. Will monitor.

I also bed in the new brakes and they got a little better, I only did like 60-0 stops, nothing crazy. Maybe I need to do a harder stop?

Also just wanted to add that I finally took the car for a spin after replacing the subframe and diff bushings with ES poly + new Tokico Illuminas and Tanabe springs. It's been a pain in the ass but I'm starting to enjoy the car finally

Thanks for reading

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.