TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I'm not sure "crazy" fits the theme here...
People Seeking Info

Subject I'm not sure "crazy" fits the theme here...

Posted by LitlElvis on August 30, 2017 at 10:45 PM
  This message has been viewed 682 times.

In Reply To Re: Re: Re: Re: Crazy overkill posted by Matt P. on August 30, 2017 at 05:17 PM

Message but I get it, that's your opinion and I'm fine with that. I'd rather be accused of developing overkill any day because eventually someone will find a way to take advantage of it and then demand more.

Speaking of opinions, there are a lot of people, for their own reasons and/or experiences, who have the opinion that they would rather not deal with EPR in any way, shape, or form. And some of those people also have the opinion that replacing the stock girdle with steel main caps doesn't address increasing preload to the bolted joint and a 3/8" thick steel cage on top of the caps is not rigid enough in any plane to transfer and share the loads from one cap to the next. If you and Lazcano are confident in using and endorsing EPR's main caps, I'm fine with that too.

What I am developing and investing in here to make available to anyone who wants is a product that people can actually buy (this is my basic business model for all of my products). It doesn't look to me that EPR even offers main caps on their website; are they discontinued or are they only available on special request?

In my opinion, a 2JZ is a completely different engine structure with 7 main caps to spread the loads and 14 10mm fasteners which provide roughly 43% more total preload than the VG's 4 main caps and 8 11mm fasteners; comparing the two with respect to bottom end strength is the same as arguing why one is better suited to single turbo setups than the other... they are engines, but they are hardly comparable.

One thing I do know for certain though is - No, you can't fit a 10mm bolt and socket in my bedplate design's OE oil pan bolt holes, the OE oil pan holes are counter sunk to allow an 8mm socket head cap screw to fit. 10mm oil pan bolts would be... crazy overkill.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.