TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - But it all fits together in the computer. Look!! *uhg*
People Seeking Info

Subject But it all fits together in the computer. Look!! *uhg*

Posted by Dallas DamonZ on August 30, 2017 at 12:37 PM
  This message has been viewed 270 times.

In Reply To "How do those tolerances work?" posted by -Grimm- on August 30, 2017 at 10:53 AM

Message The tolerancing discussion goes on for ages. I had complete legacy packages that were +-.005 on everything. Spent years figuring out what was really going out in the field and getting it all documented and working with real world, repeatable & interchangeable tolerancing.

Then we had to deal with GDnT for QA purposes. I was lucky to have a professor who did our CMM QA that taught GDnT to our engineers. Painful process, but in the end it made better designs.

His mantra is 'A drawing isn't for manufacturing a part; a drawing is for inspecting the part afterwards to ensure it does what you want it to do.' When you start laying out your drawings from that perspective, it's pretty amazing the Engineering/Manufacture/QA arguments stop. I had to sign off on fewer drawing exceptions after part runs. Continuous quality improvement, all those buzz words.

The struggle is real.

Later
Click here to e-mail me! Click here for Twin Turbo Zs of Dallas!

When was the last time you *really* did something with your Z to call
yourself a Z enthusiast?

Member #1 PETZ

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.