TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Sounds like my world.
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Sounds like my world.

Posted by Dallas DamonZ on August 29, 2017 at 10:43 PM
  This message has been viewed 287 times.

In Reply To Sounds like my world. posted by MixManMash on August 29, 2017 at 03:03 PM

Message Off the top of my head:

What sort of wrench is going to get on that bolt and be able to turn?
You don't have enough clearance to get a bolt into/out of that hole when it's assembled.
You can't get a wrench on that bolt head to begin with
Sheet metal cannot be bent like that without expensive dies, we're only making 12 of this.
I've never seen an S shaped end mill
I've never seen a back-cut end mill that can make a pocket lip like that when the part is only 1" wide.
How are you going to get your hand in there?
How are you going to get water out of there?
There's no room for MILSPEC connectors on that panel
That's great that all the connectors are on that panel now, but you can't get fingers in there to loosen or tighten them.
There's not enough pigtail on that cable for maintenance, oh wait there's not enough room in the enclosure for a maintenance loop at all...
Why the hell are you making 5 complex parts when you can make 1 complex part and 4 simple ones?
That will never hold up to the expected vibration, much less what we have to do in 810G
Come to think of it that will never (insert whatever you want) to 810G or DO-160.
Female hands can't fit in there, much less male hands, in gloves, oh MOP gear you say?
That's a pinch point
That's more than a 2 man lift
Plating/Paint do have thickness.
How do those tolerances work? I'm not spending money for +-.002 on a hinge.
You expect 120" honeycomb panels to be pressed to +-.005? (I had to actually defeat this problem with the manufacturer on legacy parts, 50%+ failure rate was acceptable).
Your FEA only works with unobtanium
How is a spring that does that going to fit in there? That's a nice little coily thing in your model, did you actually look at real world specs? How are you going to pre-load it? It's going to coil bind and then what happens?
Don't get me started on adhesive processes and shear load testing...

Somewhere in the MIL STD there's a guide to crap like this. It might just be the spec on human engineering, I've slept since then. It's impressive what the gov't has documented.

Making the 'engineers' go to the machineshop and suffer through the prototyping process with salty-ass machinists solves a good deal of these issues. Making the 'engineers' be present at testing/demonstration with the salty-ass customer/users also solves a good deal of these issues. If I ever do manufacturing like that again, it will be mandatory.

Later
Click here to e-mail me! Click here for Twin Turbo Zs of Dallas!

When was the last time you *really* did something with your Z to call
yourself a Z enthusiast?

Member #1 PETZ

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.