TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - (Flame suit on) anyone else thought of this engine swap?
People Seeking Info

Subject (Flame suit on) anyone else thought of this engine swap?

Posted by bartz32tt on March 28, 2017 at 11:19 PM
  This message has been viewed 1179 times.

Message 3.5 ecoboost. The more I read about them, the more I like them. The engine's dimensions are pretty similar to that of the VG's. Seems like it should fit, or come pretty close. And if it doesn't, there's always the smaller 2.7l ecoboost that still has higher performance figures than the VG, stock-for-stock.

I'm somewhat of a z32 purist in the sense that I generally don't like to see engine swaps in our platform. However, the thought of a modern and stout twin turbo V6 swap excites me as it doesn't seem too far removed from the original idea. The VG's many obstacles/limitations become even more apparent as it ages; not to mention expensive.

Pros: 6-bolt mains, more displacement than Vg30, easy to extract massive power cheaply (simple tune bumps up hp by 100 and to by 90!), stock 365hp/420lbft tq on 87 octane!, pretty reliable from what I've researched - many produced (cheap to get from a wrecked f150 - about $3500 for complete engine and wiring harness, ecu, auto trans, etc), forged internals, bellhousing manual trans adapter available, direct injection (pro and con), etc.

Cons: Goes without saying but expensive and lots of fabrication to retrofit in z32 if even possible (never been done before), custom wiring required unless you're willing to shell out $2k for the engine control pack, no aftermarket port injection kits available to my knowledge, etc.

________________Sig Separator________________________

ATTN: Zuberman
The above message is not sponsored by my employer.

Selling used ACT full-face sprung clutch kit: $300 + shipping
ConUS!

Chrome "boost" hardpipes and couplers/clamps $100 + shipping

Twin Turbo aluminum front calipers: $200 + shipping. Needs paint or will
paint red for additional $50

Parting out my entire 1990 twin turbo! Please email me for needed parts!
See profile for my WTB/WTT list as well.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.