TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - solid lifters with any cam
People Seeking Info

Subject solid lifters with any cam

Posted by nissan300zxwork on August 16, 2016 at 10:58 PM
  This message has been viewed 1215 times.

Message A friend of mine purchased a non put together engine. The heads are ported and bigger valves. Solid lifters and custom ground cams. I helped him assemble it all and finally got the motor running in the z.

However, it has adjustable cam gears which deletes the vtc. I called z1motorsports and ordered the early style intake cam gears that are adjustable BDE so i can get his vtc working as per z1 tech support. Well finally today i went to install first cam gear and the bolt actually pulled the from of the cam off!

I was suprised to see how easy cam is to break. I though it wouldve snugged bolt alot before breaking. Also i was not informed that i needed a spacer to run those BDE gears. So i called z1 back asked wtf happened and guy said we ordered the wrong gears and we must have the late style cams an needed jwt spacer.

Technically this is our fault because we thought had early style cams to match yr of car. I was disappointed that z1 didnt fully explain the difference between model of gears. We kinda left it up to them send us what we needed an if we knew the gears were shorter we wouldve done some measuring first.

Anyways sorry for rant. My main issue is now the engine has custom unknown cams with 10.1mm lift And solid lifters and jun hd springs. Called ton places and No one will make copy of the good intake cam left. Jwt and kyle at ipp were very helpful in doing best to find a match but with no luck. Jwt said the only solid lifter cam they have is 11.x lift an needs there springs installed because jun ones are not for larger cam.

We are stuck in crappy situation. Why can we not buy normal cams that are close to the measurments of custom we have installed for exhaust? The solid lifters damage the cam lobes? We just need to find cams for intake which can run with solid lifters that have smaller or equal to 10.1mm lift. Its my opinion he might be better off running stock cams until the funds are there to buy whole set of cams an matching springs.

Hoping someone has ran solid lifters with stock cams or slightly larger cams without problem ?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.