TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - The problem with your concept is it isn't a true "isolator"
People Seeking Info

Subject The problem with your concept is it isn't a true "isolator"

Posted by LitlElvis on July 23, 2016 at 1:55 PM
  This message has been viewed 546 times.

In Reply To Re: Enthusiasm = 10, technical accuracy = 0, humility = -10 posted by 1308cats on July 23, 2016 at 08:43 AM

Message And I say this because your through-stud attaches rigidly to both the chassis and the engine. Regardless of hockey pucks being located in between, any engine vibration will be directly transferred into the chassis via the stud. To truly isolate vibration, you will need to break the rigid link between engine and chassis. The OEMs do this by bonding the rubber to both metal sides of the mount and this eventually fails with age and over-loading. The real trick is to do it mechanically as depicted below.

Motor mounts are exposed to both pulling (tension) and pushing (compression) forces. Under engine load, the driver side (USDM left) will have a tension force applied to the mount while the passenger side mount will have a compression force applied.

• What happens when your mount design has tension applied to it? Answer: direct transfer of load to the chassis via the stud... the hockey pucks do nothing.

• What happens when your mount design has compression applied to it? Answer: the hockey pucks will compress but in doing so, the stud will become loose and can act as a saw blade against the chassis slot and/or OEM aluminum mount arm. You might be able to preload the assembly enough to help the stud from becoming too loose under compression, but no matter what you do the stud will always move with any compression loading.

Your concept may be able to hold the engine up, but it will not isolate any engine vibration from the chassis whatsoever.

Here's a cross section of how I do it - maybe you can incorporate hockey pucks into something similar so you can say "I did it".

•      
    Follow Ups  

Post a
    Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.