TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Hockey puck motor mounts
People Seeking Info

Subject Hockey puck motor mounts

Posted by 1308cats on July 21, 2016 at 5:28 PM
  This message has been viewed 767 times.

Message WTF, now that I have your attention, let's speculate. I found notched rubber pads on Amazon that prevent screwing up the pinch weld under the Z32 when you raise it with a jack or on a lift. I checked out the reviews and several stated you could make your own a LOT cheaper using hockey pucks. More people used them this way than used them for hockey. Surprise, surprise, one reviewer said that he used them to make motor mounts for his 240Z. I won't go into the finer details but this seems to be fairly simple. Hockey pucks are 1" thick and 3" in diameter, sound familiar? Go to McMaster-Carr and buy SS (either metric or SAE) studs in the appropriate size and grade (I don't have any OEM motor mounts handy to be specific, check yours for thread pitch, size and length) when you get your studs go to a machine shop and have them cut 6 1/4" blanks from 3" round stock with hole (in all 6 pieces) in center for stud to fit thru snugly. Take 1 blank, insert stud so you have equal amount sticking out on both sides. Tack weld stud to prevent turning. Notch the pucks to clear welds and place one puck on each side of center plate and place 1 plate on each end. Come out about 13/16" from center of the stud and drill a 3/16" hole completely thru, then go back and drill again with 1/4" bit, but don't go thru the bottom plate. Tap the bottom plate with a 1/4-20 tap. Thread a 1/4-20 allen head bolt thru hole with about 1/4" sticking out of the bottom plate. This will provide indexer found on OEM motor mounts. You will probably have to relieve the allen head bolt head to serve the same purpose on the top. What I am calling the indexer is actually to prevent motor mount from turning when you tighten down the nuts on each end. You can buy the pucks on Amazon for less than $1 each if your buy 10 or more in a bag. The machine shop work will probably cost about $20 bucks or more depending on your attitude. So, a set of motor mounts for around $25 and a little sweat, sounds good to me. Plus, your can rebuild them for next to nothing. I can't state durometer readings, but this would seem to provide a stiffer motor mount than OEM and more give than billet/solid mounts. Why bother? Why not? You like to try new and different things or you wouldn't be on this great site.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.