TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Tuning v1.0
People Seeking Info

Subject Tuning v1.0

Posted by Madhatter10-6 on April 24, 2016 at 11:45 AM
  This message has been viewed 1191 times.

Message Tuning has fascinated me for years and I have slowly been teaching my self different steps of the process. I have had several of my cars tuned by some really great people over the years and I would constantly go over their maps trying to see what the thinking behind their approach was. Justin and I have also spend a lot of time just driving around with a Haltech making changes and then looking over data logs. The goal with my Z was to fully wire in a Haltech Elite and then build all of the tune / map myself. Most of this process I could do without the need of a dyno (cold start, idle control, some A/F, etc) but to accurately do the steady state / power runs I needed a dyno.

Haltech USA was kind enough to let me spend some time with theirs this weekend.

Also, want to thank John @ Z1 for letting me bounce some tuning ideas off of him.

First step was making sure that my map / strategy was correct and that I had all relevant Fast and Furious quotes down....wanted to avoid blowing any welds on my intake ;)

E85 Time

Headed to dyno

Getting setup

Starting to fill out the map

It was a great learning experience but unfortunately I wasn't able to finish. I was up to 25 PSI and hadn't really started bringing up the ignition map when I started have home / ref sync issues over 6K. The car had been running great all day so my guess is that I have a CAS starting to go out. No big deal. With what I got done I hit 525 hp on a VERY old dyno dynamics which from what we have seen is ~600hp on a dyno jet. From looking at how the car was making power with the boost / ignition that I was adding my guess is that when I finish it will shake out in the 650 ish range....and maybe a little more depending on how greedy I want to get it :)

This process has confirmed that I need my own dyno. Very good chance that I ended up putting a full Dyno Cell in my basement this year.

After tuning got home and finished stripping another 2J down for a build

A long time customers 90 auto twin turbo Z with ~40K original miles that Justin and I are finishing up maintenance work on.

After a really long day of car work movie time with my pit bull, Halo.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.