TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I have perfected a system...
People Seeking Info

Subject I have perfected a system...

Posted by vorpalZ on August 26, 2015 at 12:54 PM
  This message has been viewed 319 times.

In Reply To Rob needs to organize a vancouver session.... posted by MeatMan on August 25, 2015 at 06:48 PM

Message 1) Start planning 6 months in advance. I'm talking to Greg & Seb in January for summer dyno dates. I talk to the dyno shop for weekend dates then as well. Start getting the word out early and make a e-mail list of interested participants.

2) get on good terms with the dyno shop. I get the same hourly rate I was paying 4 years ago, probably because we're a good group and pay up with no fuss. Make sure they dyno is in good shape and one that Greg & Seb are familiar with. I prepay the dyno shop for time as my deposits come in, makes everyone happy and one less thing to worry about during the event. Keep the place clean and keep people out of the way. Have a BBQ and invite the dyno guys. Bring your own water/juice/Gatorade and generally keep a lid on things while you're tuning.

3) Figure out how many days you will tune. Figure on no more than 4 cars per day. Book dyno & hotel time according to this schedule. Best to book too few cars in advance than too many... there will always be last minute additions if needed. Better to add a day as well rather than trying to ram tooo many cars through in too short a timeframe.

4) I have never advertised on the local forums or the internet in general for any of the 5 dyno weekends. It is all word of mouth and referrals. This has resulted in a high committment rate with a total of 4 people backing out over 5 years with legit reasons. Greg & Seb refer people in the area who call them for tuning to me and I add them to the list. I get contacted through e-mail by someone who knows someone who was tuned before. I mention it at club meetings. Basically get people who are serious enough to send money, not promise a bunch of bullshit on a web forum and then bail.

5) Have a checklist and instructions for people... send them out early and remind people before the date. Do regular e-mail updates to the group.

6) Set a cutoff date for deposits with a no-refund policy after that date. This is what pays for the weekend... you should have all expenses in by a month beforehand. I front the hotel, airfare and dyno rental, divide by the number of participants and come up with my deposit figure.

7) Get a couple of friends to help out, hang around and organize things at the dyno... direct traffic, get snacks/lunch... etc.

8) If someone shows up with a piece of shit and aren't ready... don't get them on the dyno and strapped down before you tell them to fix it. We've burned valuable dyno time changing plugs, boost leak testing, getting electronics running... I don't allow it any more.

9) Make sure people doing multiple fuel tunes are aware they have to pump out and fill. Don't show up with a full tank of 91 if you want to do race gas tunes later. Remind people months before hand. Then remind them again. And again.

10) Be prepared to lose a lot of sleep :)

Easy!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.