TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - VG30DETT is ~650 LBS, LS1 is Less than 400 LBS
People Seeking Info

Subject VG30DETT is ~650 LBS, LS1 is Less than 400 LBS

Posted by flashstar on August 25, 2015 at 12:23 AM
  This message has been viewed 1608 times.

In Reply To LS engine weight is easy to adjust posted by Zorpman on August 24, 2015 at 10:02 PM

Message The VG30's iron block, large aluminum intake, heads, DOHC 4 cam design, turbos, etc. dramatically increase weight and locate much of it higher on the engine. Our fully assembled heads weigh a ton. If you're not convinced, I recommend installing a pair with the short block in your car.

La-Z-Link

The LS1/6 is a simpler aluminum block OHV engine without turbochargers, overhead cams, etc. We're talking less than 400 lbs without a transmission.

La-Z-Link

The difference in weight is around 250 lbs. In addition, we're lowering the center of gravity. Both of these are good things if you make the necessary changes to the suspension.

You typically cannot change spring rates willy-nilly without re-valving struts. You will probably need some form of adjustable strut to compensate at the very least. You will also need to reset your ride height. To be safe, I'd purchase a set of 2 way adjustable coilovers and consult with the manufacturer to make sure I source the proper springs.

This should give you an idea of some of the work that goes into selecting spring rates:

La-Z-Link

Decent 2-way coilovers run at least $2000 dollars and typically require rebuilds every few years. Anyway, a quality motor swap will require more work than most people usually think about.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.