TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Weekend project: Staining charcoal carpet black
People Seeking Info

Subject Weekend project: Staining charcoal carpet black

Posted by PiotrC70 on July 05, 2015 at 3:17 PM
  This message has been viewed 1364 times.

Message I figured before I start putting the Z back together after repaint, I would stain the charcoal carpet black since mine is not only faded in patchy areas, but under direct sunlight areas have a purple tinge. I knew it would be damn near impossible to find '90/'91 black carpet, so I figured I would stain mine since I had great success staining the back tray in my BMW which is known for fading from black to purple.

This is the product I purchased. It's a whopping $4 per pack. One whole packet was used with 32oz of hot water. (Note that his is the POLY which is for synthetic fibers they do have a regular pack as well so you don't get confused)

Taken with my camera phone w/ flash so you get an idea how black is black. Obviously will get darker with more coats.

All the pics below were with flash so you get an idea with direct light. I vacuumed and spent a good hour with carpet cleaner scrubbing away stains. I'm pretty sure these are here to stay since the foam was coming up clean.

This is only after 2 coats. First coat is sprayed and rubbed with the previous pictured rag against the grain. The 2nd coat was with the grain.

Here you get a better representation of how dark it is. Again, only 2 coats. I bought 2 more packs of this stuff just in case. Take note of the lighter color near the ebrake area running front/back where I didn't spray.

1993 TT. R.I.P. 09.15.2010

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.