TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - "I want the quietest system Possible !!!!"
People Seeking Info

Subject "I want the quietest system Possible !!!!"

Posted by Zuberman on June 07, 2015 at 4:53 PM
  This message has been viewed 401 times.

In Reply To Magna flow 14835 mufflers posted by WazTTed on June 07, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Message Keep in mind different mufflers have different sound characteristics. Some can be loud as war at idle and not much different at wide-open-throttle.
Others can be extremely mild, nearly stock-sounding, at idle, but then loud as war at W.O.T.
Then there's the stock exhaust, which on most cars is very quiet at most any speed. Manufacturers even put mufflers on intakes, even on performance models :(
I have Magnaflows on two of my vehicles (straight-through design) and they are mild at idle but OMG loudern hell at W.O.T.
By introducing more and more baffling you're going to affect your power band, especially at top-end and highway cruising speeds, and it will also affect your highway fuel-economy.
It has been shown that some restriction in the exhaust helps with low-end torque, but that is not so much the case with a TwinTurbo Z because there is already plenty of restriction from the turbo itself. In phone conversations with Jim Wolf (Jim Wolf Technology) back in the early 90s, he verified this. That's when I simply chose to run my exhaust wide-open from the main catalytic-converters back. My highway fuel-economy went up a bit and I realized more passing power, and I reported to Jim that, despite installing his POP-Charger air-filter and E.C.U. chip for more power, I seemed to be getting better fuel-economy, and he said it's probably because I'm not having to use as much accelerator to get the car to go (better efficiency).
From what I've researched, FlowMaster is very quiet but still flows very well (I've used them before) and you can find them used on some drag race cars. Magnaflow also has a very strong reputation. Borla can be very quiet but dang they're so expensive.

During the C6 Corvette production, an electronically-controlled exhaust valve mechanism was used to make the exhaust more open for performance but more quiet at idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHC_Cuhv7jM

However, you could get a mechanical valve device for your exhaust which you can manually open and close for diversion to an extremely quiet system or to wide-open.

[ http://shop.mr-gasket.com/exhaust-cut-out-w-cable.html ]

(I'm not sure if there are any larger diameter devices out there but you could probably have something fabricated at a larger diameter)

You might also consider this.....

[ http://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/02/06/exhaust-duel-corsas-reflective-sound-cancellation-vs-flowmasters-delta-flow-technology/ ]

I've been thinking about this since the early 90s, and I seriously think I'm going to finally pursue it, but not in the same way as described in that article.

Ultimately, you might have to test different mufflers because people are different as to how different sounds affect them. Some people might say this or that exhaust system is great to them but when you get it on your car you might feel like it's beating you half to death. Maybe go listen to a bunch of them on YouTube, etc, or at manufacturer's websites?

Sorry that doesn't directly answer your question about the 14835 but hope maybe it helps a little :)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.