TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Time for a rebuild?
People Seeking Info

Subject Time for a rebuild?

Posted by platinumist on May 28, 2015 at 8:47 PM
  This message has been viewed 406 times.

Message Hey guys, wanted your opinion on what to do with my build... My Z has been going for a streetable weekend track car. Its at 170k miles on stock turbos at 15psi, and the last 50k have been pretty "spirited". It's been feeling a little tired lately so I did a compression test and the numbers were below spec.

1-110
2-105
3-105
4-107
5-105
6-100

I didn't do the "wet" test with oil, but I probably will to see if its the piston rings or not.

So I was thinking about going with Z1s GT600R BB kit and probably manifolds. I figure this will be more than enough for what I want and anything down the road.

My question is, what to do about the build? Is it absolutely not an option to re use stock pistons and use new rings? Of course I will get the bottom end checked out first and get the head re worked, new valve seals etc... Would new OEM pistons be okay? Or will I really need forged? I'm not going for HUGE power compared to some of you crazies. OEM head gaskets or MLS? ARP studs necessary? I'm sure a lot of this depends on my hp goals, what would be a reasonable goal with these turbos and a moderate build? 450whp? 500? I don't plan on cams or oversized valves or anything at the moment. Just trying to see what is really worth while while I'm in there.

Please advise, you guys are the experts.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.